- Color syntax highlighting on color terminals, e.g., Linux
console or a remote color terminal via dialup (as well as Xjed).
- Folding support
- Drop-down menus on _ALL_ terminals/platforms.
- Emulation of Emacs, EDT, Wordstar, Borland, and Brief editors.
- Extensible in the C-like S-Lang language making the
editor completely customizable.
- Capable of reading GNU info files from within JED's info
- A variety of programming modes (with syntax highlighting) are
available including C, C++, FORTRAN, TeX, HTML, SH, python, IDL,
- Edit TeX files with AUC-TeX style editing (BiBTeX support too).
- Asynchronous subprocess support allowing one to compile from
within the editor
- Built-in support for the GPM mouse driver on Linux console.
- Abbreviation mode and Dynamic abbreviation mode.
- 8 bit clean with mute/dead key support.
- Supported on most Unix, VMS, OS/2, MSDOS (386+), win9X/NT, QNX,
and BeOS systems.
- Rectangular cut/paste; regular expressions; incremental searches;
search replace across multiple files; multiple windows; multiple
buffers; shell modes; directory editor (dired); mail; rmail; ispell;
and much, much more.